CUTTING DOWN – TIPS TO STAY ON TRACK
Go Slow - Tips to cut down
When you’re drinking, the best method is to go SLOW.
No one’s saying don’t drink. We’re just saying the SLOW method will help you cut down a bit.
Switch – alternate your drinks on a night out. Follow an alcoholic one with a non-alcoholic one.
Low – where possible, go low. That’s lower ABV - a 3.5% beer is better than 5% 11% wines preferable to 14%
O is for off days – two days a week, don’t drink. One or two non drinking days per week helps your liver and other organs recover.
W is for Water. Water is your friend when you’re going SLOW.
We recommend using the SLOW technique to keep your drinking on the right track.
More tips on SLOW
- Spacing drinks out by alternating helps you stay in the daily guidelines.
- Make a plan before you go out drinking. Work out in advance what drink you like, and how many you can have to stay safe. The guidelines are 2-3 units a day for women, 3-4 for men
- Try and go for lower volumes - order a bottle of beer rather than a pint. Ask for a small glass of wine over a large one.
- Drink as much water as possible before drinking, during drinking and after drinking. It’s also a great alternative to alcohol in between drinks - sparkling water or even a tonic helps you space your drinking out.
Click here to find out how many units are in a given drink.
Benefits of cutting Down
Once you've started cutting down, you'll see some postive benefits:
- Better sleep - you'll feel fresher and sharper in the mornings
- More energy - you'll find you've got a spring in your step and feel less tired in the day
- Less weight - with fewer alcohol calories, you should find your're losing weight
- Clearer skin - your skin won't be full of alcohol toxins, meaning a clearer complexion
- More money - if you're spending less on alcohol, you'll have more to spend on something else!
Overall, you'll feel healthier and better for drinking a bit less.